Testing Rushcutter, In the Folds

Hello stitchers!!! I’m so happy to finally be able to blog about this pattern I made a month ago. Best make to date!

When I saw the Rushcutter on Em’s instagram it was pattern love at first sight. First all I could think was THE POCKETS!!!!! Then I noticed the lines and how you could have fun with stripy and checked fabrics. I was sold 100%. I mean look……

FRONT-PAGE_WITH-TYPE-1

I took this picture from In the Folds official website.

However, the pattern wasn’t available to buy. Em was putting out a call for pattern testers. I’ve never pattern tested before and even though more companies have been requesting for more pattern testers I never put myself forward…but for this pattern I jumped at the chance. I wanted to sew it up and help if I could.

I was a tester so I did the unusual and made up a calico toile. I sewed up a size C. Instead of a usual size system, there is an alphabetical one. I measured up between a B and a C. The pattern is oversized and has a lot of ease, so I could have gone for the smaller size but I have broad shoulders a decided to go with the bigger size to check the shoulder fit (first time sewing raglan sleeves!!). I’m glad I did because it was a perfect fit and any smaller would have been uncomfortable.

Pattern changes:

Without any modifications the style was too oversized and long for me, #5″3problems. So for this final version I sized down to size B everywhere but the shoulders. I also took about 5cm off the length. I think I went a bit to short but I do like the 60’s mini feel it has too it.

DSCF3485

The instructions where AMAZING. Em broke it down like no other pattern I’ve seen. Fully photographed step by step sewing instructions. It was a dream!!!

DSCF3546

I, especially, like being fully guided along new sewing techniques and this pattern did that!! There is also a less detailed instruction sheet for more experienced stitchers.

This was a beginner pattern but has enough scope to be a beginner plus one too. The pattern really encourages you to use a bias binding finish, so I went for it and am now in love with bias binding. The fabric I used for bias binding was in my stash and I had no idea what to do with it or if I even liked it anymore and now it’s gone on to be a lovely pile of bias binding.

DSCF3491

DSCF3502

I did all the bias binding without a bias binding maker. It was just the iron and me and after nearly burning myself five times I realised, for this, steam is not my friend!! This bias binding tutorial from The Village Haberdashery was the best reference I found.

I did make one mistake and I’m so annoyed with myself about the hem of this dress. It was PERFECT in my toile but I was sewing tired and somehow messed up the inside hem thing and made it too small!!

DSCF3501

When I was about to finish the hem I realised my mistake but honestly couldn’t be bothered to unpick, recut and sew in one that was the correct size. Now, as you can see, There’s a strange pucker/pleat thing. The perfectionist in my cried but I love everything about the rest of this dress so much, I put that voice firmly away!!

I really enjoyed this sew and am already planning to make some more. I did get the pattern free for being a tester. In the Fold is a new company and I wish it all the best and can’t wait to see what else will come from them in the future.

If anyone can remember this is the fabric I bought that I had no idea what to do with. I think I’m changing my mind about keeping a stash!! 🙂 The more fabric the merrier!! If anyone is going to SewBrum I will see you on Halloween 🙂

xxx