This project post has been a loooooooong time coming. I actually finished this dress about three months ago but it has always felt like it’s missing something (even now). I tried adding front pockets…they looked sloppy and left holes in the fabric when I took them off! I though about adding darts to the back but I don’t want to risk inserting them badly. Then the dress (and me) just seemed defeated and tired.
One day I wanted to wear something I made and even though this was sitting on my unfinished pile I wore it out….and people really like it! I love the fabric and the style. There are fitting issues I can’t fix that bother me but I’m working on trying to move past that!!
If you have this pattern and have bigger hips/wider shoulders PLEASE loosely hand sew it together (if you’re not making a toile) to check the fit. I got the Ultimate Shift Dress kit which had everything I needed to sew the dress. I measured myself (size 10) sewed it up, did flat felled seams!!! (I know fancy!) Finished….Then tried it on. It won’t go over my bum/hip and was very tight on the shoulders/chest. Sewing fail.
This dress was size 12 with it going out on the hips to size 14 and it’s still feels tight on the bum and shoulders.
If anyone saw my previous post you’ll remember I showed this fabric as part of the Anna Ka Bazaar fabric I got in their sale. I originally intended the fabric for a summer dress but thinking of the long Autumn/ Winter /Spring I decided to make a pattern I could wear for all seasons. This is a lovely cotton that was so easy to sew with and soft but not too sturdy. It hated the seam ripper and easily got holes from it.
I made the closing of the dress a zip instead of eye and hook because I am slightly paranoid about showing my back. This dress was my first time inserting an invisible zip (not just as a sample) and it was rough. My third effort was when I called it a day.
My offending dodgy zip insertion! Yes, it is supposed to be an invisible zip haha
I also added a collar. The shape was taken from the Tallis Collar by Gather . The collar was supposed to meet in the middle but I messed up :/ however it turned out to be a happy mistake because I really like the look of it not meeting.
I don’t think a shift dress is the best choice for my shape but I love how comfortable they are and this is such a wearable dress. I also think Sew Over It patterns are always going to have fitting issues for my shape. I will hopefully be making their Anderson Blouse in December so wish me no fitting issues!
I want thank my mum for the pictures and sending me images of Victoria Beckham so I could imitate how she stand for pictures 😛
Thank you for having a look at my make and I hope all this yellow is taking your mind off being in the middle of Winter!