What is silk?
Silk usually refers to silkworm thread made fabric, and depending on what the silkworm eats, silk fabric includes mulberry silk (the most common and widely used), tussah silk, castor silk, cassava silk, etc.
It is a natural fibre, also known as the “Queen of Fiber”, belongs to a type of protein fiber, and silk fibroin contains 18 kinds of amino acids that are beneficial to the human body.
Silk fabrics are silk fabrics spun from silk. After different processes, dyeing and printing, various kinds of silk fabrics are formed.
1. Good hygroscopicity and moisture release, so it is warm in winter and cool in summer;
2. Soft and skin-friendly, with no friction with the human body;
3. Anti-ultraviolet, containing amino acids to keep the skin smooth and moist, so it is called human “second skin”
4. The fibre can be very light.
1. It is more troublesome to take care of and maintain, and it is not suitable for machine washing.
2. As it is a protein based natural fibre, it attracts certain types of insects, so requires a high standard cool place to store.
What is Cupro?
Although cupro is a synthetic fibre, it is a brand new, bio-degradable and environmentally friendly regenerated from cellulose fiber extracted from higher-quality cotton seeds pulp or wood pulp.
In addition, the dyeing and color rendering properties of cupro silk are really good, so whether it is dyed into various bright colors or printed, the final result is excellent.
- The fabric has no friction with the human body, smooth, with soft lustre on the surface ;
- It has good moisture absorption and release properties, commonly known as “breathing fibre”, it is warm in winter and cool in summer;
- Good antistatic properties and drape;
- Cupro does not generate static electricity when on the human body, so it is very good to use them as inner layers. (Used for high class suits, suspenders and suspender skirts. They are comfortable and cool to wear in summer).
- The fibre can be very light.
1. There will be a common shrinkage after washing
2. Colour fading phenomenon and hoarfrost effect. ( could be an advantage for some designs).
Because it will be a little rustic and old-fashioned of the color after washing,, so the kind of dress suggested to buy is more retro literary styles, so that the more you wash, the better effect.
What is Tencel?
Tencel is a solvent-based cellulose fiber, derived from sustainable wood, the raw material is natural. It is non-toxic and non-pollution, and bio-biodegraded after use without causing pollution to the environment.
It is called “green fiber in the 21st century”. From the initial raw material, to the final Tencel fabric it experienced dissolving, thread spray, spinning, weaving etc.
- Soft and drapeable, breathable and skin-friendly;
- Natural lustre and smooth texture;
- Tough fibre and durable,
- Hardly have shrinkage after wash ( especially within Lenzing tighten the weave technology)
- Anti UV light
1.It is very easy to get creased after being machine washed and rubbed.
The silk fabric is soft in color and has a pearly like shine.
The color of cupro is more matte, and the surface has a frosty effect, which looks like a layer of fog;
Tencel imitates the elegant luster of silk, it is far less shiny and silky.
Price, skin-friendliness, and air permeability:
silk > cupro silk > Tencel.
Generally speaking, as silk comes from the nature, it is naturally superior to the other two, but it is delicate and difficult to take care of.
Tencel > Cupro > Silk.
Different between Tencel vs Cupro
Cupro and tencel are both renewable cellulose fibers, but the raw material of cupro is high-quality wood pulp. The process is more difficult, and Tencel is ordinary wood fibre, which is more widely used and more cost-effective.
Related link :
Pigeon wishes Tencel lyocell fabric is certified by Lenzing AG, produced by environmentally responsible processes from the sustainably sourced natural raw material wood.
Pigeon wishes Cupro fabric is certified by Bemberg Japan.